Physical and emotional abuse has long-lasting, life-changing effects. When conflicts escalate between parties, sometimes it’s necessary to get a restraining order. The process can be problematic due to the need for legal documentation and filing procedures. Having an experienced attorney is critical.

Filing a restraining order can impact a child custody case, a divorce case, a paternity proceeding, or other types of court actions. The experienced family law and divorce lawyers at Brydon, Swearengen & England P.C. represent clients filing restraining orders.

What Is A Restraining Order?

Restraining orders are sometimes necessary if a person is in fear of physical harm or abuse. Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act is designed to protect people from harassment, stalking, domestic abuse, or sexual abuse. Ultimately, the goal is to prohibit contact for one party with another, you can contact us for help filing  restraining order.

Sadly, restraining orders are frequently abused by people to simply harass another person. For those people who have had a restraining order filed against them, obtaining legal counsel is essential.

There are two types of restraining orders:

Ex Parte

An ex-parte order of protection and a full protection order. Ex-parte orders are temporary orders (15 days) issued before someone has to appear in court.

Full Order of Protection

A full order of protection is issued after a court hearing allowing the person who has received the order to state their case. Violations of either an ex parte order of protection or full order of protection may result in criminal penalties.

Restraining orders are good for one year and may be renewed for another year.

Filing A Restraining Order

It is necessary to fill out the proper paperwork to obtain a restraining order. The forms can be challenging to understand. You need to determine what documents and information you will need to file for the order. an experienced defense attorney in Chandler says it’s important to have as much evidence as possible when filing and to be able to communicate the urgency of the matter.

A knowledgeable criminal attorney or family law attorney ensures you understand the forms and have filled them out correctly. Your attorney will file your petition in the county where you live with any appropriate corresponding documents.

It’s especially important to have an attorney on your side if the abuser has legal representation. You want to be sure you have someone on your side supporting you.

Getting the Help You Need

If you or your children are currently experiencing harassment, domestic violence, or sexual abuse, make sure you find a safe place first. A total of 68 organizations in Missouri provide domestic violence services at some level. If you need help immediately, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

Afterward, contact the attorneys at Brydon, Swearengen & England P.C. We will see you get the representation you deserve.